Thursday 14 January 2016

A Week of Sorrows: The Impact of Creatives on the Lives of Strangers.

"When sorrows come, they come not single spies but in battalions"

Today is the day I have been waiting for for 6mths - the release day of 'When Sorrows Come'. I have been so excited about sharing it, and busily organising lots of fun Facebook activities for the launch party -- but I don't feel much like celebrating now.
Now, I just kind of want to sit in a darkened room listening to Bowie, reading Potter, and drinking a lot of red wine. I feel quite bereft; which is not a reasonable response for someone who has no claim over either of these men other than someone who has been moved, inspired, influenced by their artistic endeavours. I have been the distant receiver of their craft, not knowing how deep an emotional connection had been made.
Suddenly, I feel a massive responsibility for the emotions I'm about to catalyse in the readers of 'When Sorrows Come' - the grief art creates is real, and it's almost an act of creative harm to do that to another, whether that's a reader or viewer.
It also feels somehow wrong to be celebrating the release of a book on such a sad day; but, I guess if Bowie taught us anything it was that art and creativity and expression trump all adversity.
It goes to show the impact that a Creative's life can have on a total stranger that I have wept twice this week for men I have never met, but yet feel I have known somehow because of what they have created and shared with us all. 

R.I.P Alan Rickman - "Always" Snape in my heart; one of the most beautifully wrought anti-heroes of all time. 
R.I.P David Bowie - Inspiration to be fearless. heart emoticon heart emoticon heart emoticon heart emoticon


No comments:

Post a Comment